Monday, April 18, 2011

Literary Analysis!

So I have decided that I am going to write the last essay for this class on Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart." While reading this novel and the other African folk stories that we read, I realized how much I love African folk literature. I love the way it reads and the wisdom I feel it exudes. There is also a lot of symbolism in Achebe's novel and I'm excited to dive into the criticism that's out there. When we discussed in class I wrote down some ideas that I address in my paper. Here are some:


  • Okonkwo seems to represent the "old" ways, and Nwoye seems to represent the "new"
    • with this, we can enter into how exactly Okonkwo symbolizes the tribes old ways with his personality traits, and the way he dies. I also want to see whether most critics are satisfied with the Okonkwo's fate
  • Why did Achebe choose to write this novel in English?
  • The significance of the final paragraph
  • The significance of the way the novel is divided into three parts -- could it be where Okonkwo is and how his resolve gradually diminishes?
  • The similarities and differences between the two religions in the novel, and the theme of cultural identity present in the novel
  • and of course, the examination of the novel using post-colonnial criticism.
Thankfully, I have a good amount of ideas to fill 6-7 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment